Monday, December 13, 2010

A DISCLAIMER: Heed These Words From "The Parson"

   I can't vouch for the absolute accuracy of anything stated (or implied) anywhere in the "A Parson of Interest" blog entries.  Not in this one ... or the last one ... or the next one.  Not today ... not tomorrow ... not EVER.

   Believe me.  I'm a relatively honest person, and I have good intentions -- so my assertions are essentially reliable.  But, the bottom line is -- I'm a simple-minded, multi-flawed human being -- and a lazy one at that.  Innocent omissions/errors can accidentally get through.  And, sometimes, I may be lying.

   For instance, I might note (in passing) that Henry VIII had five wives.  While this may be true, it isn't the whole truth.  A brain-hiccup may have caused me to forget about the Medicine Woman, (who was either #3 or #6).  Furthermore, in the Jack Webb tradition, I frequently change people's names -- partly out of a respect for their privacy -- but mostly to avoid being beaten up or sued.  For example, "Aunt Tiny" is definitely my Aunt Tiny, but "Peter Eyewash", (the hemophiliac Eagle Scout), goes by an entirely different name in real life.

   Yes, there may be a blatant lie here or there, (such as the claim that I was Cleopatra's camel wrangler in a previous incarnation**).  But, if you believe such nonsense as that, you deserve to be deceived.  And my recanting, or even explaining, obviously off-the-wall falsehoods would be an insult to you.  After all, if you weren't an intelligent, savvy, with-it person, you wouldn't be reading this blog anyway.  Right???

   Moreover, my goal isn't entirely to inform.  There will be times when I'm just blowing smoke, and, occasionally, my aim will be to have you come away shaking your head and asking, "Can he possibly be serious?".

   There, my children, you have been duly warned.

**Regarding my previous life, if you ever tried to get camel spit out of new denim, you'll know what a terrible job "camel wrangler" can be.  I really hated it, (but, then again, Cleo was a living doll, and she wore the sheerest little outfits.  Furthermore, once you got your Union Card, the pay and benefits were pretty decent).  I take it back.  Those were great times.  "Head 'em up ... Move 'em out.  Rollin', rollin, rollin' ..........."

1 comment: